Sunday, July 11, 2010

Functionality of a blog

Functionality of a blog

Blogs to me are a modern form of a diary entree. They are a highly functionally way in which to upload information or thoughts about events. The use of blogs in the classroom is valuable to educators because it not only allows for students to become more computer literate but it also allows for students to practise their grammar and spelling skills on the World Wide Web.

However there are some aspects of blogging that may be difficult within the classroom environment. As we found out, in class, setting up an account in which students can blog is rather difficult. If students are not confident in their abilities with internet use students will struggle understanding remembering their passwords and user names.

5 comments:

  1. Very interesting Bryce, I too can relate to the setting up and navigating of the blog pages. This has been very frustrating but I am slowly getting better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do agree with you Bryce. I have a class cohort now but most of them cannot access the computer at home. I would dare say that a blog will likely be more usable in a class of upper primary where most students have an access to the internet and can type with ease.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would have to agree with Bryce and Doug to a certain extent about blogs being hard to set up. But I believe because of this day and age students in upper primary through to grade 12 are very computer literate and will have no trouble setting up a blog, even if they had to work it out for themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree Bryce creating a blog and learning how to work it can be difficult, though I think that it would not be a problem in a classroom environment where learners can get technical support from their teacher. I think the use of a blog in the classroom is great. It allows learners to reflect on what they have done and where they need to go, while communicating with other learners on different blogs. It allows teachers to keep track of where their learners are up to. In saying this I also am also slightly reluctant to use blogs in the classroom due to safety issues with learners being online and where others could obtain access to their personal information. Though I this could be overcome with strict guidelines for the learners to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments. I agree that creating a blog and learning how to work it can be difficult but doable. A blog (web log) is a much easier tool to setup and work successful in my classroom then some other tools I have found through the work I have done this course .But I have also found a blog that I created with some of my students that I have worked with (I work with special need students) that they find a fun way to create something that is theirs to keep and show their parents as well. Plus it a great visual tool to use to help students to learn visually (if you are so lucky to have the right equipment).

    ReplyDelete